Tuesday, July 4, 2023

This Independence Day, Let Us Celebrate with a New Purpose in the Pursuit of Life, Liberty & Happiness

July 4, 2023

Written by Alberta Parish

In recent years, I didn't hold the 4th of July Independence Day in high regard. However, in light of the current state of our union, the 4th of July has significantly taken on special meaning for me. A revolution was fought upon our nation's shores almost three hundred years ago, which formed an independent and sovereign nation with constitutional laws of governance. Almost a hundred years later, the Emancipation Proclamation and 13th Amendment to the Constitution would be enacted and become the law of the land, borne of a revolution. Without this revolution, there would've been no Emancipation Proclamation or 13th Amendment. 

Today, I celebrate Independence Day for the values that were put forth, which separated our nation from the monarchies that controlled Europe. I celebrate Independence Day also for the values that it espouses, which include life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Although our new enemies are not coming from across the seas in ships wearing red coats and long white trousers, the enemy is moving to demolish the Constitution and the principles upon which a revolution was fought on these same shores that once guaranteed to every citizen life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

On July 4, 1776, every citizen knew the true meaning of independence from Great Britain. The Second Continental Congress declared that the 13 colonies were no longer subject to the English Crown under King George III, and thus, the colonies were sovereign, and free to govern themselves. No longer under British control, the colonies grew what later became the United States of America. 

Borne of a revolution, a nation was forged. This nation, although relatively new, had become the greatest this planet had ever seen. Now, this great nation has come under threat by enemies from within its borders, occupying seats of power and prestige. Enemies that don't want to see this nation remain sovereign and independent because of their own selfish greed.

Today, I celebrate Independence Day to remind our enemies that although they may have weakened this once powerful nation, they have not weakened the spirit of the nation. Our light, once shining bright as a beacon for others, may have dimmed but it will not be forgotten. Our enemies may have undermined its Constitution, but they haven't destroyed this nation's core values and beliefs.

Any leader that would be so foolish as to think American exceptionalism is a thing of the past is quite possibly an enemy of the people of this nation and should be wiped from our history book and forgotten like a bad memory.

Today, I celebrate Independence Day because I am a part of the experience of this nation - good or bad or in-between. I celebrate, because although my complaints are many, I can revel in the fact that the Emancipation Proclamation and 13th Amendment gave me whatever life I have today - good or bad or in-between.

Without the revolution, there would be no nation. Without the revolution, there would be no America. Without the revolution, there would be no Me.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment