Written by Alberta Parish
This morning, I had an apocalyptic-type dream in which bombs were dropped on Miami, Florida shortly after my mom and I arrived there on vacation with church members. In the dream, my mom and I got separated. We arrived in Miami and at the hotel together, but at some point, I did not see her anymore. I did not know where she had gone, so I went up to our hotel room. Once I got inside the room and closed the door, I heard bombs. Immediately, I took cover on the floor between the two beds as if that were going to shield me from any bomb, or devastation, or harm, or ruin. Luckily, I was not harmed or blown to pieces. It seemed like the bombings lasted well over five minutes.
After the bombings stopped, I rose from the floor and looked out the hotel window. To my horror, I saw thousands of people on the beach running for their lives. It was complete chaos. There was pitch-black darkness outside as thousands were trying to escape death and devastation from those bombings that had been dropped on beautiful Miami. It was the worst scene multiplied by ten times, even worse than you will see in a movie. In the dream, I was thinking, "I gotta find my mom." I was thinking the worst-case scenario regarding my mom. Is she hurt? Is she dead? I began to cry and panic because of my mom. I didn't know where she was. I was visibly shaken and felt profound fear. Afterwards, I woke up from the dream and felt relief that it was only a dream.
The church members that my mother and I went on vacation with are former church members, as I am no longer attending church. Also, my mother is deceased. She died in October of 2017. Yet, I had forgotten she'd ever died while being with her in the dream. It never even crossed my mind that my mom already died almost several years ago.
If I can vividly remember dreams like these, it is usually an omen or ominous in nature. I remember that the U.S. Government dropped bombs on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August of 1945 killings tens of thousands of Japanese. Could this event happen again during my lifetime? With the current state of the United States and international communities, anything of this magnitude is possible. It is possible that we have a sitting President that could push the button and effect this type of devastation in his own country. It has happened before. What is to stop it from happening again?
Things are about to shake up and come unhinged in America, but not necessarily for the better. In the middle of a global pandemic, we've seen worldwide protests, demonstrations, marches, rioting, looting, murders of law enforcement officials and civilians, peaceful protests, and poor leadership in the White House in the wake of a police killing of another unarmed Black man who did nothing to deserve having his life snatched from him. Now, there's calls for policy reform and defunding of police departments. Will that happen? Only time will tell. Will that solve all racial discrimination, workplace discrimination, police brutality, abuse of those in power? Probably not. I think racism is at the core of this nation's heart in which a certain segment of the population must be on the bottom to perpetuate a system that was originally built on human slavery and oppression. The founding fathers had some inkling that slavery would end up being either the destruction of this nation or its demise, and they argued among themselves about the evils of institutionalized slavery. Yet, it persisted until 1865, almost a hundred years after the War of Independence from Great Britain.
Unless you can root out institutionalized racism from the nation's heart, defunding and reforming police departments will only add a Band-Aid on top of the sore called the system of white supremacy.

No comments:
Post a Comment